Doggett, C.M. and Thornton, Tim, eds. (2009) Changing Barnsley: from mining town to university town. Wharncliffe Books, Barnsley. ISBN 9781845631222
- Accepted Version
Download (13kB) | Preview
PDF (Chapter 1 - Introduction)
- Accepted Version
Download (34kB) | Preview
Changing Barnsley looks at how Barnsley has evolved, through the eyes of the former Mining and Technical College on Church Street, which now hosts Barnsley's very own University. Covering the 75 years of its existence, it tracks the period from 1932, when the building was first built, until 2007, when the University was fully up and running.
Built along the northern side of the Town Hall in 1932, on Church Street, the Building which now houses Barnsley's very own University has been at the centre of education in Barnsley since its construction.
As the mining industry became more regulated and professional, the building originally started life as a mining college, training and equipping Barnsley's workforce with the necessary skills to work in the coal industry.
With the demise of coalmining and the broadening of Barnsley's industries, it became a technical college, focussing on a more general education.
Now as the industrial heritage has faded and the regeneration of Barnsley has been implemented, the conversion of the building into a University, to provide Higher Education to Barnsley is an important step in raising aspirations and equipping Barnsley with the skills for the future.
This books tells the history of this building, the people that have used it and the skills they have gained.
|Additional Information:||Foreward and Chapter 1 reproduced with kind permission of the publisher|
|Subjects:||L Education > LB Theory and practice of education > LB2300 Higher Education
D History General and Old World > DA Great Britain
|Schools:||School of Music, Humanities and Media
School of Art, Design and Architecture
|Depositing User:||Graham Stone|
|Date Deposited:||18 Nov 2009 14:48|
|Last Modified:||29 Sep 2016 16:00|
Downloads per month over past year
Repository Staff Only: item control page