1. Beck, U. ((1992)) The Risk Society. - (London, Sage)
2. Beck, U. ((1999)) World Risk Society. - (Malden, MA, Polity Press)
3. Brubaker, W. R. ((1992)) Citizenship and Nationhood in France and Germany. - (Cambridge, Cambridge University Press)
4. Castells, M. ((1996)) The Information Age: Economy, Society and Culture: Vol. 1. The Rise of the Network Society. - (Oxford, Blackwell)
5. Crick, B. ((2000)) Meditation on democracy, politics and citizenship. Social Inclusion: Possibilities and Tensions - in: P. Askonas and A. Stewart (Eds); (Basingstoke, Macmillan)
6. Delanty, G. ((1998)) Social theory and European transformation: is there a European society. Sociological Research Online 3:(1) - available online at: www.socresonline.org.uk
7. Delanty, G. ((2000)) Citizenship in a Global Age. - (Buckingham, Open University Press)
8. Delanty, G. ((2003a)) Community. - (London, Routledge)
9. Delanty, G. ((2003b)) Citizenship as a learning process: disciplinary citizenship versus cultural citizenship. International Journal of Lifelong Education 22:(6) , p. 597. [informaworld]
10. ((1998)) Education for Active Citizenship in Europe. - Directorate General XXII of the European Commisssion (DGXXII); (Luxembourg, Official Publications of the European Communities)
11. Etzioni, A. ((1995)) The Spirit of Community. - (London, Fontana)
12. Etzioni, A. ((1997)) The New Golden Rule: Community and Morality in a Democratic Society. - (New York, Harper Collins)
13. Fahmy, E. ((2003)) 'A disconnected generation: encouraging young people's political participation'. Youth and Policy 81 , p. 1.
14. France, A. ((1996)) Youth and citizenship in the 1990. Youth and Policy 53 , p. 28.
15. Frazer, E. ((2000)) Citizenship education: anti-political culture and political education in Britain. Political Studies 48 , p. 88. [ crossref ]
16. Giddens, A. ((1999)) Democracy. The Reith Lectures 1999 - No. 5, available online at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/events/reith_99/default.htm
17. Goldblatt, D. ((1997)) At the limits of political possibility: the cosmopolitan democratic project. New Left Review 225 , p. 140.
18. Habermas, J. ((1994)) Citizenship and national identity. The Condition of Citizenship - in: B. Van Steenbergen (Ed.); (London, Sage)
19. Habermas, J. ((1999)) The European nation-state and the pressures of globalization. New Left Review 235 , p. 46.
20. Habermas, J. ((2001)) Why Europe needs a constitution. New Left Review 11 , p. 5.
21. Hobsbawm, E. ((1987)) The Age of Empire. - (reprinted in 1994 by London, Abacus)
22. Jamieson, L. ((2003)) Theorizing identity, nationality and citizenship: implications for European citizenship identity, Part 1. State of the Art Report: Orientations of Young Men and Women to Citizenship and European Identity - available online at: www.ed.ac.uk/social/youth
23. Jamieson, L. and Grundy, S. ((2003)) UK survey finding. State of the Art Report: Orientations of Young Men and Women to Citizenship and European Identity - available online at: www.ed.ac.uk/social/youth
24. Levitas, R. ((1998)) The Inclusive Society: Social Exclusion and New Labour. - (Basingstoke, Macmillan)
25. Marshall, T. H. ((1950)) 'Citizenship and Social Class' reprinted. Sociology at the Crossroads - in: T.H. Marshall (1963); (London, Heinemann)
26. McCrone, D. and Kiely, R. ((2000)) Nationalism and citizenship. Sociology 34:(1) , p. 19. [ pubmed ] [ crossref ]
27. Meehan, E. ((1993)) Citizenship and the European Community. - (London, Sage)
28. Mills, C. W. ((1970)) The Sociological Imagination. - (Harmondsworth, Penguin)
29. Osler, A. and Starkey, H. ((2003)) 'Learning for cosmopolitan citizenship: theoretical debates and young people's experience'. Educational Review 55:(3) , p. 243. [informaworld]
30. Piper, H. and Piper, J. ((2000)) 'Volunteering and citizenship in communitarian education policy: philosophers' stone or fools' gold'. Education and Social Justice 3:(1) , p. 48.
31. ((1998)) Education for Citizenship and the Teaching of Democracy in Schools. - Qualifications and Curriculum Authority (QCA); Report of the Advisory Group on Citizenship (London, QCA)
32. Roche, M. ((1987)) Citizenship, social theory and social change. Theory and Society 16 , p. 363. [ crossref ]
33. Roker, D., Player, K. and Coleman, J. ((1999)) Challenging the Image: Young People as Volunteers and Campaigners. - (Leicester, National Youth Agency)
34. Sandel, M. J. ((1982)) Liberalism and the Limits of Justice. - (Cambridge, Cambridge University Press)
35. Stewart, A. ((2001)) Theories of Power and Domination: The Politics of Empowerment in Late Modernity. - (London, Sage)
36. Turner, B. ((1990)) Outline of a theory of citizenship. Sociology 24 , p. 189. [ crossref ]
37. Willetts, D. ((1992)) Modern conservatism. The Political Quarterly 63 , p. 413. [ crossref ]
38. Wringe, C. ((1992)) The ambiguities of education for active citizenship. Journal of Philosophy of Education 26:(1) , p. 29. [ crossref ]
39. Young, I. M. ((1989)) Polity and group difference: a critique of the ideal of universal citizenship. Ethics 99 , p. 250. [ crossref ]
40. Young, I. M. ((1990)) Justice and the Politics of Difference. - (Princeton, NJ, Princeton University Press)
41. Young, I. M. ((2000)) Inclusion and Democracy. - (Oxford, Oxford University Press)