Pislaru, Crinela, Freeman, J.M. and Ford, Derek G. (2003) Modal parameter identification for CNC machine tools using wavelet transform. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 43 (10). pp. 987-993. ISSN 0890-6955
Restricted to Registered users only
The paper presents a new use of the Continuous Wavelet Transform for modal parameter identification applied to CNC machine tools. Firstly, the resonant frequencies and damping ratios of the CNC machine tool axis drive are estimated in the frequency domain using the transmissibility relation at resonance. The experimental Bode diagrams are determined using a novel measurement practice for the decoding of signals generated by a position encoder.
This paper focuses on a novel application of the Continuous Wavelet Transform to identify the resonance frequencies and corresponding damping ratios of the CNC machine tool axis drive. The proposed method has the ability to detect variations in the amplitude levels of weak components embedded in strong noise and non-stationary processes. The superior ability of the Wavelet Transform to identify accurately modal parameters is demonstrated by comparing the results of the two different methods
|Additional Information:||UoA 25 (General Engineering) © 2003 Elsevier Science Ltd. All rights reserved.|
|Subjects:||T Technology > TS Manufactures
T Technology > TA Engineering (General). Civil engineering (General)
|Schools:||School of Computing and Engineering
School of Computing and Engineering > Centre for Precision Technologies
School of Computing and Engineering > Centre for Precision Technologies > Engineering Control and Machine Performance Research Group
School of Computing and Engineering > Pedagogical Research Group
School of Computing and Engineering > Diagnostic Engineering Research Centre
School of Computing and Engineering > Diagnostic Engineering Research Centre > Energy, Emissions and the Environment Research Group
School of Computing and Engineering > Diagnostic Engineering Research Centre > Measurement System and Signal Processing Research Group
1. S. Mallat, A Wavelet Tour of Signal Processing. , Academic Press, San Diego, CA (1998).
2. G. Strang and T. Nguyen, Wavelet and Filter Banks. , Wellesley-Cambridge Press (1996).
3. A. Aldroubi and M. Unser, Wavelets in Medicine and Biology. , CRC Press Inc., FL (1996).
4. G.Y. Luo, Osypiw, M. Irle, Vibration Modelling and Identification Using Fourier Transform, Wavelet Analysis and Least-Square Algorithm. Proceedings of second International Symposium on Multi-Body Dynamics: Monitoring & Simulation Techniques, Bradford, UK, June 27–28, 2000, pp. 153–167.
5. M. Ruzzene, A. Fasana, L. Garibaldi and B. Piombo, Natural frequencies and dampings identification using wavelet transform: Application to real data. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 11 2 (1997), pp. 207–218. Abstract | PDF (309 K) | View Record in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
6. A. Agneni, L.B. Crema, Analytic Signals in the Damping Coefficient Estimation. Proceedings of 1988 International Conference on Spacecraft and Mechanical Testing, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, (1988), 133-139.
7. D. Spina, Analisi delle Oscillazioni Libere di Sistemi Non Lineari per l’identificazione dei Parametri Meccanici., Ph.D. thesis, Universita degli Studi La Sapienza, Roma, Italy, 1989.
8. W.J. Staszewski, Identification of damping in MDOF systems using time-scale decomposition. Journal of Sound and Vibration 203 2 (1997), pp. 283–305. Abstract | PDF (318 K) | View Record in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
9. W.J. Staszewski, Analysis of non-linear systems using wavelets, IMechE Proceedings, Part C. Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 214 2 (2000), pp. 1339–1353. Full Text via CrossRef | View Record in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
10. I. Daubechies, Ten Lectures on Wavelets. , Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) Philadelphia, PA (1992).
11. Y. Meyer, Wavelets. , Algorithms and Applications, SIAM, Philadelphia, PA (1993).
12. Ch.K. Chui, An Introduction to Wavelets. Wavelet Analysis and Its Applications, vol. 1. , Academic Press, Boston (1992).
13. D.E. Newland, Random Vibration, Spectral and Wavelet Analysis. (third ed.),, Longman, Harlow and John Wiley,, New York (1993).
14. P.A. Wojtaszczyk, Mathematical Introduction to Wavelets. , Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1995).
15. B. Burke Hubbard, The World According to Wavelets. , A.K. Peters, Wellesley, MA (1996).
16. C.W. De Silva, Vibration- Fundamentals and Practice. , CRC Press, London (2000).
17. D.J. Ewins, Basics and state-of-the-art of modal testing. Sadhana 25 3 (2000), pp. 207–220. View Record in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
18. C. Pislaru, Parameter identification and hybrid mathematical modelling techniques applied to non-linear control systems, Ph.D. Thesis, The University of Huddersfield, UK, 2001.
19. M. Paz, Structural Dynamics: Theory and Computation. (fourth ed ed.),, Chapman & Hall (1997).
20. M. Farge, Wavelet Transform and their applications to turbulence. Annual Rev. Fluid Mech 24 l (1992), pp. 395–457. View Record in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
21. P. Flandrin, Time-Frequency / Time-Scale Analysis. , Academic Press, USA (1999).
22. S. Mallat, A Wavelet Tour of Signal Processing. , Academic Press, San Diego, USA (1998).
23. F.H. Raven, Automatic Control Engineering. , McGraw-Hill, London (1987).
24. R.F. Steidel, An Introduction to Mechanical Vibrations. , John Wiley & Sons Inc. (1971).
|Depositing User:||Briony Heyhoe|
|Date Deposited:||24 Jul 2007|
|Last Modified:||25 Aug 2015 11:45|
Downloads per month over past year
Repository Staff Only: item control page