Sophian, A., Tian, G.Y., Taylor, D. and Rudlin, J. (2002) Design of a pulsed eddy current sensor for detection of defects in aircraft lap-joints. Sensors and Actuators A Physical, 101 (1-2). pp. 92-98. ISSN 0924-4247
Restricted to Registered users only
This paper presents a new type of pulsed eddy current (PEC) sensor that has been designed for defect detection in aircraft lap-joint structures. The sensor employs a new excitation circuit that requires no additional signal amplification and the paper also reports compensation techniques that improve the sensing resolution and stability. A new hybrid feature of the peak value in time domain and the maximum frequency magnitude in frequency domain has been investigated. A test rig has been built and some results from aircraft samples are presented.
|Additional Information:||© 2002 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved.|
|Uncontrolled Keywords:||Pulsed eddy current (PEC) sensor; Transient response; Magnetic sensor; Feature extraction; Digital compensation; Aircraft NDT|
|Subjects:||T Technology > TL Motor vehicles. Aeronautics. Astronautics|
|Schools:||School of Computing and Engineering|
School of Computing and Engineering > High-Performance Intelligent Computing > Visualisation, Interaction and Vision
1. A. Sophian, G.Y. Tian, D. Taylor, J. Rudlin, Eddy current and electromagnetic NDT: a review, insight, J. Br. Inst. NDT 43 (2001).
2. J.R. Rudlin , A beginner’s guide to—eddy current testing. Br. J. NDT 31 6 (1989), pp. 308–313.
3. Y. Bar-Cohen , Emerging NDE technologies and challenges at the beginning of the 3rd milennium. Part II. Mater. Eval. 58 2 (2000), pp. 141–150. View Record in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
4. B. Lebrun, Y. Jayet and J.C. Baboux , Pulsed eddy current signal analysis: application to the experimental detection and characterization of deep flaws in highly conductive materials. NDT & E Int. 30 3 (1997), pp. 163–170. SummaryPlus | Full Text + Links | PDF (854 K) | View Record in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
5. R.A. Smith, G.R. Hugo, Transient eddy current NDE for ageing aircraft—capabilities and limitations, Insight 43 (1) (2001) 14–25.
6. K. Miya, M. Uesaka and Y. Yoshia , Applied electromagnetics research and application. Prog. Nucl. Energy 32 1/2 (1998), pp. 174–194.
7. U. Patel and D. Rodger , Finite element modelling of pulsed eddy currents for nondestructive testing. IEEE Trans. Magn. 32 3 (1996), pp. 1593–1596. Full Text via CrossRef | View Record in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
8. O. Bomin, J. Cahouet and P. Giordano , Eddy current nondestructive testing-experiment and numerical model for the conception and optimisation of probes. J. de Phys. III 3 3 (1993), pp. 485–494.
9. G.Y. Tian, Z.X. Zhao and R.W. Baines , Computational algorithms for linear variable differential transformers (LVDTs). IEE Proc. Sci. Measure. Technol. 144 4 (1997), pp. 189–193. Full Text via CrossRef
10. G.Y. Tian, Z.X. Zhao and R.W. Baines , The research of inhomogeniety in eddy current sensors. Sens. Actuators A 58 (1998), pp. 153–156.
11. G.Y. Tian , Design and implementation of distributed measurement systems by fieldbus-based intelligent sensors. IEEE Trans. Instrum. Measure. 50 5 (2001), pp. 1197–1202. View Record in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
|Depositing User:||Briony Heyhoe|
|Date Deposited:||20 Jul 2007|
|Last Modified:||06 Jan 2011 09:31|
Downloader CountriesMore statistics for this item...
Repository Staff Only: item control page