1. Riskin, C. United Nations Development Programme. In China Human Development Report 1999: Transition and the State; Oxford University Press: Oxford, UK, 2000.
2. Liao, H.; He, H. Developing smart and green rural settlements for the rapid urbanizing China: Experienced learnt from England. In Proceedings of the 8th Conference of the International Forum on Urbanism True Smart and Green City, Incheon, Korea, 22–25 June 2015.
3. Zhang, G. Shanghai Daily, Shanghai-Kunming Railway nears Completion. Available online: http://www.shanghaidaily.com/metro/public-services/ShanghaiKunming-railway-nears-completion/
shdaily.shtml (accessed on 20 June 2016).
4. Wang, X. Architecture of Chinese Ethnic Minority Groups; Ethnic Cultures of China Series; China Intercontinental Press: Beijing, China, 2007.
5. Times of India, China Wants to Revive Southern Silk Road with India, 9 June 2013. Available online: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/international-business/China-wants-to-revive-Southern-Silk-Road-with-India/articleshow/20510534.cms (accessed on 20 June 2016).
6. Gao, Y. Being there—Reflections on 20 Years of the International Course at the Huddersfield Department of Architecture; University of Huddersfield: Huddersfield, UK, 2010.
7. Dumreicher, H. Chinese villages and their sustainable future: The European Union-China-Research Project “SUCCESS”. J. Environ. Manag. 2008, 87, 204–215.
8. EnergyPlus. Weather Data, 2016. Available online: https://energyplus.net/weather (accessed on 23 June 2016).
9. Szokolay, S.V. Introduction to Architectural Science—The Basis of Sustainable Design; Routledge: London, UK, 2014.
10. Bouillot, J. Climatic design of vernacular housing in different provinces of China. J. Environ. Manag. 2008, 87, 287–299.
11. Pitts, A. Prevalence and evaluation of bioclimatic design techniques used to achieve low energy comfort in architectural design proposals. In Proceedings of the Windsor Conference: Counting the Cost of Comfort, NCEUB: Network for Comfort and Energy Use in Buildings, Windsor, UK, 10–13 April 2014; pp. 1078–1090.
12. Shan, D. Chinese Vernacular Dwellings: People Daily Life with Their Houses; Translated by Wang Dehua; Cultural China Series; China Intercontinental Press: Beijing, China, 2010
13. Oliver, P. Encyclopedia of Vernacular Architecture of the World; Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK, 1997.
14. Oliver, P. Built to Meet Needs; Cultural Issues in Vernacular Architecture; Routledge: London, UK, 2006.
15. Rapoport, A. House Form and Culture; Prentice-Hall: Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 1969.
16. Xing, Q. Agricultural Tax to Be Scrapped from 2006. China Daily, 6 March 2005. Available online: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-03/06/content_422126.htm (accessed on 19 June 2016).
17. Chen, A. How has the abolition of agricultural taxes transformed village governance in China? Evidence from agricultural regions. China Q. 2014, 219, 715–735.
18. Wang, X.; Shen, Y. The effect of China’s agricultural tax abolition on rural families’ incomes and production. China Econ. Rev. 2014, 29, 185–199.
19. Watts, J. China Vows to Create a ‘New Socialist Countryside’ form Millions of Farmers. The Guardian, 22 February 2006. Available online: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/feb/22/china.jonathanwatts (accessed on 20 June 2016).
20. Ryan, C.; Huimin, G. Tourism in China: Destinations, Cultures and Communities; Routledge: London, UK, 2008.
21. Gao, Y.; Pitts, A.; Gao, J. The role of ecotourism in the sustainable development of Qinkou village, Yunnan, China, 2001 to 2013. In Proceedings of the International Association for the Study of Traditional Environments (IASTE), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 14–17 December 2014;Traditional Dwellings and Settlements Working Paper Series; Volume 268, pp. 1–25.
22. Gao, J. (Faculty of Architecture and Urban Planning, Kunming University of Science and Technology, China). Personal communication, 2016.
23. In Kunming, Nuohei Village in Yunnan—A Village Built by Stones. Available online: http://en.kunming.cn/index/content/2014-12/31/content_3793975.htm (accessed on 23 June 2016).
24. Nuohei Yi Ethnic Group Cultural Museum, Visitor Information, 2016.
25. CUAES. Proceedings of the 16th International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences Congress, Kunming, China, 27–31 July 2009.
26. Yunnan Tourism Information Network, Overnight at Slabstone House in Nuohei Village. Available online: http://www.chinastoneforest.com/showArticle.aspx?cid=255&aid=5231 (accessed on 23 June 216).
27. Marschalek, I. The concept of participatory local sustainability projects in seven Chinese villages. J. Environ. Manag. 2008, 87, 226–235.
28. Pitts, A.; Gao, Y. Design of dwellings and interior family space in China: Understanding the history of change, and opportunities for improved sustainability practices. Buildings 2014, 4, 823–848.
29. Pitts, A. Planning and Design Strategies for Sustainability and Profit; Architectural Press: Oxford, UK, 2004.
30. Jiang, W.; Pitts, A.; Gao, Y. Planning and design strategies for sustainable urban development. In Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Sustainable Buildings and Structure, Suzhou, China, 30–31 October 2015.
31. Building Research Establishment, BREEAM Communities 2012, BRE, UK. Available online: http://www.breeam.com/communities (accessed on 24 June 2016).
32. US Green Building Council, LEED v4 for Neighbourhood Development Plan, USGBC, USA, 2016. Available online: http://www.usgbc.org/leed (accessed on 24 June 2016).
33. Chen, B.; Pitts, A.; Ward, I. Indicators for Sustainable Housing Design: From EcoHomes to the Code for Sustainable Homes. In Proceedings of the PLEA 2008, Dublin, Ireland, 22–24 October 2008.
34. Pitts, A. Future proof construction—Future building and systems design for energy and fuel flexibility. Energy Policy 2008, 36, 4539–4543.
35. Wan, L.; Ng, E. Built environment sustainability assessment of poor rural areas of southwest China. In Proceedings of the 30th International PLEA Conference, Ahmedabad, India, 16–18 December 2014; Volume 1, pp. 386–393.
36. Liu, S.; Huang, C. Optimization of natural ventilation of “Yinzi” dwellings in western Hunan based on orthogonal experiment and CFD. Buildings 2016, 6, 25, doi:10.3390/buildings6030025.
37. Weissenstein, C.; Bignon, B.-C. Environmental design of a building: Climatic context. In Proceedings of the PLEA 2011 27th Conference on Passive and Low Energy Architecture, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, 13–15 July 2011.
38. Baker, N.; Steemers, K. Energy and Environment in Architecture: A Technical Design Guide; Taylor and Francis: London, UK, 1999.