Kevill, Alex, Trehan, Kiran, Easterby-Smith, Mark and Higgins, David (2015) Stick or Twist? The Practice of Undertaking Life Story Interviews In-The-Moment. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research, 21 (3). pp. 448-471. ISSN 1355-2554Metadata only available from this repository.
– The purpose of this paper is to provide small business and entrepreneurship researchers with insights to help them undertake life story interviewing, in order that this can subsequently advance understanding within the field.
– The authors describe, and reflect upon, the use of a life story interview approach that formed part of the data collection process for a research study into dynamic capabilities in micro-organisations.
– The life story interview approach the authors utilised can generate benefits for both the purposes of the research study and the interviewee. Nevertheless, “unexpected lack of time” and “owner-managerial control”, two common contextual factors within micro-organisations, are factors that may raise challenges for successfully undertaking life story interviewing in such organisations. Ultimately the interviewer needs to respond to such challenges by making “stick or twist” decisions with regard to the interview format being used.
– The authors provide an example of an interview approach that researchers can use for future research within the field of small business and entrepreneurship. The authors also prepare interviewers for challenges they may experience within the field and the potential need for them to make “stick or twist” decisions.
– The authors explicate a specific life story interview approach which is new to the field of small business and entrepreneurship. Furthermore, the authors highlight potential complexities in undertaking this interview approach within micro-organisations. Prior work within the field has tended to give little consideration to challenges of undertaking life story interviews.
|Subjects:||H Social Sciences > H Social Sciences (General)|
|Schools:||The Business School|
|Depositing User:||Alex Kevill|
|Date Deposited:||01 Jul 2015 14:30|
|Last Modified:||09 Feb 2016 15:06|
Downloads per month over past year
Repository Staff Only: item control page