Tuukkanen, I., Brown, S.D., Charsley, Edward L., Goodall, S.J., Rooney, J.J., Griffiths, Trevor T. and Lemmetyinen, Helge (2004) Studies on the ageing of a magnesium-strontium nitrate pyrotechnic composition using isothermal microcalorimetry and thermal analysis techniques. Thermochimica Acta, 417. pp. 223-229. ISSN 0040-6031
Restricted to Registered users only
The ageing behaviour of a pyrotechnic composition containing equal parts by mass of magnesium and strontium nitrate has been followed by isothermal microcalorimetry. The measurements were carried out on the samples at 50 °C and 65% relative humidity in air using closed ampoules. The results have been compared to those obtained for magnesium powder under the same conditions. Following an initial induction period, the pyrotechnic compositions reacted at a much faster rate than magnesium powder alone. The main reaction products were found to be magnesium hydroxide and strontium nitrite; the amounts formed have been correlated with the cumulative heats of ageing. In addition, the influence of the ageing process on the pyrotechnic reaction has been studied by high temperature differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and by modulated temperature DSC.
|Additional Information:||Copyright © 2007 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved. ScienceDirect® is a registered trademark of Elsevier B.V.|
|Subjects:||Q Science > QD Chemistry|
|Schools:||School of Applied Sciences
School of Applied Sciences > Materials and Catalysis Research Centre
1. A.P. Hardt, Pyrotechnics, Pyrotechnica Publications, USA, 2001.
2. S.D. Brown, E.L. Charsley, S.J. Goodall, T.T. Griffiths, P.G. Laye and J.J. Rooney. Thermochim. Acta 401 (2003), p. 53. SummaryPlus | Full Text + Links | PDF (134 K) | View Record in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
3. E.L. Charsley, S.J. Goodall, T.T. Griffiths, P.G. Laye, Proceedings of the 12th Symposium on Chemical Problems Connected with the Stability of Explosives, Karlsborg, Sweden, 2001.
4. D. Barišin and I. Batinić-Haberle, Propellants. Explos. Pyrotech. 14 (1989), p. 162. Full Text via CrossRef
5. I. Batinić-Haberle, D. Barišin, I. Spasojevi, Proceedings of the 20th International ICT Conference, Fraunhofer-Institut, Germany, 1989, p. 61-1.
6. D. Barišin, I. Spasojević, I. Batinić-Haberle, Proceedings of the Pyroteknikdagen, Sekt. Detonik Förbränning, Sweden, 1990, p. 145.
7. I. Batinić-Haberle, D. Barišin, I. Spasojević and Z. Vranic, Propellants. Explos. Pyrotech. 17 (1992), p. 10. Full Text via CrossRef | View Record in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
8. E.L. Charsley, S.B. Warrington, T.T. Griffiths, Proceedings of the 26th International ICT Conference, Fraunhofer-Institut, Germany, 1995, p. 23-1.
9. E.L. Charsley, J.J. Rooney, H.A. Walker, T.T. Griffiths, T.A. Vine, B. Berger, Proceedings of the 24th International Pyrotechnics Seminar, IIT Research Institute, Chicago, USA, 1998, p. 147.
10. L. Greenspan. J. Res. Natl. Bureau Stand. 81A (1977), p. 89. View Record in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus
11. I. Tuukkanen, E.L. Charsley, J.J. Rooney, T.T. Griffiths, unpublished work.
12. S.B. Warrington, P.A. Barnes, E.L. Charsley, in: D. Dollimore (Ed.), Proceedings of the 2nd European Symposium on Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, Heyden, 1981, p. 315.
13. S.B. Warrington, Ph.D. Thesis, Leeds Polytechnic, 1982.
|Depositing User:||Briony Heyhoe|
|Date Deposited:||12 Jul 2007|
|Last Modified:||04 Nov 2015 17:29|
Downloads per month over past year
Repository Staff Only: item control page